Article by Yunal Zobu
Stefan Laub and team #vrayforc4d official released V-Ray 3.4
Before diving into the lists of specs, here is something I’m very excited about – version numbering. Yes, those tiny numbers! VRayforC4D will no longer have different numbering than all the other ones (3DS Max, Maya and etc.). This means C4D users finally got their hands on the most recent core version of the popular render engine. (The only higher version currently is the beta for 3DS Max)
While this transition may not seem so important to all of you, let me assure you – this makes it possible for the Cinema 4D community to work daily with state of the art features. And this makes all the difference for every artist, no matter of his current skill level.
Let’s get geeky!
Here are my Top 15 features:
- New great V-Ray 3.4 render speed. Faster overall ray tracing and render performance
- A lot faster path tracing GI, all parts of V-Ray had been greatly optimized using state of the art ray tracing technology.
- New progressive sampler rendering: see your render within seconds instead of waiting for buckets. Time or sampling level based for stills and animation.
- New variance based adaptive image sampler (VBAS), in bucket and progressive mode, improved sub-pixel filtering
- Dynamic Bucket splitting, unified sampler options (only bucket or progressive to choose)
- 3.4 denoiser via VFB & via V-Ray denoise stand-alone tool (for animation), non destructive, can cut render time by half and more, with GPU acceleration.
- Automatic sampling of lights and materials – removing the need to set subdivisions manually
- New Global Defaults for fully automatic render settings, – just turn on GI and render.
- V-Ray RT CPU, Cuda, OpenCL(only win) production rendering in picture viewer and editor
- RT Light Cache support & new pre-multiplied mode in Light Cache
- Faster Light Cache rendering,
- Light Cache is now rendered distributed via DR
- Fast IPR window (interactive preview render) based on V-Ray RT v3.4 core , GPU & CPU options.
- Multi faceted GTR BRDF (GGX pro with tail control)
- Min shading rate (one simple global shading quality slider)
Learn more on vrayforc4d.net[su_vimeo url=”https://vimeo.com/195593288″ width=”560″ height=”380″][su_vimeo url=”http://vimeo.com/63803172″ width=”560″ height=”380″] [/su_vimeo] [su_vimeo url=”https://vimeo.com/194376438″ width=”560″ height=”380″][su_vimeo url=”http://vimeo.com/63803172″ width=”560″ height=”380″] [/su_vimeo] [su_vimeo url=”https://vimeo.com/194376438″ width=”560″ height=”380″][su_vimeo url=”http://vimeo.com/63803172″ width=”560″ height=”380″] [/su_vimeo]
Here are most of the remaining changes and new features:
- v3.4 clip max ray intensity setting (can speed up rendering a lot)
- Lot faster hair, grass & fur rendering & a lot faster instance and proxy rendering
- Probabilistic light sampling: a lot faster rendering with huge number of area lights
- Embree 2.3 (also dynamic geometry like displacement, hair, mb, proxies)
- New 3.4 Render masks (textures, objects, object ids)
- V-Ray Clipper (make easy render time sections or booleans of objects or groups of objects)
- Reflection/refraction sets (include /exclude lists)
- New Multiple UV support per shader(!), support for unlimited UV channels chooser inside
- V-Ray shaders.
- New single /rgb curve option for complex IOR, Custom Fresnel curves and shader color mapping
- New BRDF Materials: V-Ray Skin Material, V-Ray Volume Material, V-Ray Switch Material (for Scene variations based on full materials), V-Ray OSL Material (win), Stochastic Flakes
- Material (Brute force Physical flakes), AL_Surface BSDF Material
- New static displacement options (faster), Open-Subdiv support via Displacement Mat option
- UDIM texture support*
- New “Auto” mode in color mapping dealing with 8 bit,32 bit and mp situations
- Several New multipass channels, Separate light select layers for render elements (V-Ray light select)
- OSL shader, with thin film and complex IOR shaders included (win only at the moment)
- V-Ray frame buffer,with ICC, OCIO, LUT, cube, interactive burn, exposure, highlight, color balance controls OSX and windows.
- V-Ray physical based Lens glare glow and diffraction effects via vfb, with GPU acceleration
- New vrmesh export, with all features, animated vr-meshes, hair and particles in vr-meshes
- Additional vray shaders (vray curvature, vray ray switch, vray user data color, vray user skalar, bercon noise, Phoenix Ocean shader)
- Optimised volume rendering
- New Sky and Areal Fog options: Hosek sky model to simulate more natural looking skies,
- Ground color option for VRaySun and VRaySky, Aerial perspective for efficient and realistic atmospheric depth (fog, humidity)
- New Dr features (exclude local machine from render, IPR or optional computer name support)
- Support for V-Ray VR stereo cameras: Support for 6×1 cubic and spherical 360 degree stereo VR cameras (for Hive, Samsung gear and Oculus Rift use p.e )
- Support for sub folders in c4d search paths and for textures stored in .lib files
- New Random by ID, Random by shell command
- New Simplified user interface (optional like vray 3 max)
- Support for native c4d mograph shader on DR stand-alone (via vray data shader)
- Support for c4d native vertex map on DR stand-alone (via vray data shader)
- Support for c4d native bitmap on DR stand-alone (via bitmap to file option, fast)
- Faster vrscene export for DR (up to 10x) due new V-Ray sdk and some more.
For more information, be sure to check out Vrayforc4d.net